Exploring Thane - Prashant Chaat Corner

I wanted to become a journalist long back. In fact when I used to pass the TOI building on way to my college many years back, I would look at it quite wistfully. Later I even wrote some articles and sent it. For weeks I waited for some response but the mailbox would not bring any pleasantries, and that was the end of it!!

Now, when I go around doing reviews of my favourite chaat corners in cities asking for permission to take pictures and write about restaurants I live a little bit of that dream. I started my first review from Prashant Corner. It was done in August, but I never got around to posting it till now!

Tikkis/Pattice frying


Prashant Corner started off some 6 to 7 years back as a small one room shop and now it has grown so much that it has branches in other parts of Thane too. More than the main sweet shop what it is famous for is the Chaat Corner which dishes out Mumbai Street Food in a very hygienic atmosphere.

Location: Panch Pakhadi, Thane. Next to GKB Eye Care.



Timing:
4:00p.m. to 9:00p.m. every day.

Age:6 and 1/2 years old

Owner of the Chaat Counter : Mr.Mani, a Tamilian from Salem!!

Famous dishes: Panipuri, Sevpuri, Dahivada, and Tikki Chhole/Ragda Pattice.

Mr.Mani and his team


The Chaat Corner is run by Mr.Mani. Mani and his Tamilian entourage used to work for the once famous Gurukrupa Chaat Bhandar in Sion. Due to personal reasons Mr.Mani split from the owner of Gurukrupa, and so did all the other Tamilian workers. They started with two outlets in Thane right outside Prashant Corner, and another one which has now closed down at Brindavan which houses most of the South Indian, and Sindhi population of Thane.

The panipuri counter

However, the Brindavan outlet has closed down, and now opened at Vasant Vihar (going great guns!).

USP of Prashant Corner:
The use of disposable gloves and caps while working, and clean counters. Tasty Dishes at reasonable rates. Clean water dispenser with disposable glasses, and huge dustbins.

For some of you this may be normal but here it is not! In fact you will find that many good fast food centres too do not have basic facilities such as clean counters which they conveniently hide behind big boxes, containers etc.

Price Tag:
A plate of ragda pattice costs about Rs.17/- and contains two big aloo tikkis smothered with lots of chhole. You also get beet coated onion rings, dhania and dahi(if you ask).

Parcels: They provide take aways too. The food gets packed in individual food grade disposable plastic containers at an additional cost of Rs.5/-, along with tissues and plastic spoons.

Home delivery: Home deliveries, and party orders are taken a day before. Delivery is provided only for bulk orders.

Quality of food: Yummmmmo!! Lip smacking:)

A plate of piping hot ragda pattice


Diclaimer
- I do not have any contacts there nor have I been assigned to review them. I did this because the food is so good, it deserves to be recognized!!

What would you expect from a review like this? Is there any other information you would like? Please leave a comment or mail me at sunshinemomsblog[at]gmail[dot]com, and I shall be as always 'happy to hear', and respond to your queries:)

Labels: